The BMF title fight didn’t end the way most of us wanted it to, but Jorge Masvidal still proved he was the better man against Nate Diaz on Saturday at UFC 244 in Madison Square Garden.
Unfortunately, the fight was stopped after the third round because of a nasty cut over Diaz’s right eye.
The ending was anticlimactic, but Masvidal had dominated the first three rounds. He landed some serious punches, elbows and a plethora of hard kicks to the body. Diaz was visibly hurt on at least three occasions, but he showed his grit in withstanding Masvidal’s onslaught.
Diaz had some moments in the third round, but looked somewhat over-matched in stand-up exchanges. Because of this, the abrupt ending wasn’t as much of a tragedy as it could have been in a fight that looked a little less one-sided.
Both Masvidal and Diaz expressed an interest in having a rematch. Diaz’s eye will need to heal first, but I’d expect to see them clash again some time in the first quarter of 2020.
Here is a look at all of the results from UFC 244. The event was a rousing success from a gate standpoint. The $6.5 million generated was the second highest at MSG.
- Jorge Masvidal def. Nate Diaz via third-round TKO
- Darren Till def. Kelvin Gastelum via split decision
- Stephen Thompson def. Vicente Luque via unanimous decision – FOTN
- Derrick Lewis def. Blagoy Ivanov via split decision
- Kevin Lee def. Gregor Gillespie via first-round KO (2:47) – POTN
- Corey Anderson def. Johnny Walker via first-round TKO (2:07)
- Shane Burgos def. Makwan Amirkhani via third-round TKO (4:32)
- Edmen Shahbazyan def. Brad Tavares via first-round KO (2:27) – POTN
- Jairzinho Rozenstruik def. Andrei Arlovski via first-round TKO (0:29)
- Katlyn Chookagian def. Jennifer Maia via unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Lyman Good def. Chance Rencountre via third-round TKO (2:03)
- Hakeem Dawodu def. Julio Arce via split decision (29-28 x2, 28-29)
$6,575,996.19 (2nd highest at MSG behind 205)
20,143 – sellout
Fight of the Night:
Thompson vs. Luque
Performances of the Night: