By: Matt Erickson |
Just when it appeared Johnson (27-2-1 MMA, 15-1-1 UFC) was going to cruise to an easy decision win over Borg (11-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC), “Mighty Mouse” threw Borg in the air, grabbed his left arm in one fluid motion and got a tapout from an armbar at the 3:15 mark of the fifth round.
The flyweight title bout was the co-main event of UFC’s 216 event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and UFC Fight Pass.
Johnson went to the outside and worked inside leg kicks. Then he went with a high left kick that forced Borg to block it. Moments later, Johnson kicked to the body. And when he went back to the body a second time, Borg tried to catch the kick, but found himself on the ground with Johnson holding on. After Borg got back to his feet, Johnson again kicked to the body. Borg held on to a single leg, but Johnson was in no danger. He grappled around and took Borg’s back and landed quick punches to the face. Borg rolled over and Johnson took over in half-guard. He worked short elbows and tried to set up an arm-triangle choke. He let Borg flirt with a guillotine, but Johnson passed to side control in a dominant first round.
Borg and Johnson tied up early in the second round, and Borg threatened with a standing guillotine choke. It wasn’t there, but Borg managed to get a takedown 90 seconds into the round. When Borg took his back and looked like he might get a rear-naked choke, Johnson expertly dumped Borg from his back, and the champ went to work on top. Johnson hammered with punches on top before Borg got back to his feet. With 70 seconds left, Johnson got a takedown and went right into side control.
UFC 216 results include:
- Demetrious Johnson def. Ray Borg via submission (armbar) – Round 5, 3:15
- Fabricio Werdum def. Walt Harris via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 1:05
- Mara Romero Borella def. Kalindra Faria via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:54
- Beneil Dariush vs. Evan Dunham declared majority draw (29-28, 28-28, 28-28)
- Cody Stamann def. Tom Duquesnoy via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Bobby Green vs. Lando Vannata declared draw (29-27, 27-29, 28-28)
- Poliana Botelho def. Pearl Gonzalez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Matt Schnell def. Marco Beltran via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- John Moraga def. Magomed Bibulatov via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 1:38
- Brad Tavares def. Thales Leites via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-26)